Every one is trying to understand What is N95 Mask due to current situation. Ever since health organisations suggested that N95 Mask will keep people safe from New Corona virus contamination, since then N95 Masks have become more popular across the world. Prior to that only few people were aware about it. Now there is high demand for N95 Masks. Let’s understand – what is N95 Mask?
What is N95 Mask?
N95 Mask also known as N95 respirator. The reason it’s called N95 because it meets requirements or standards which has been set by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). All types of masks classified based on their air filtration efficiency or ratings. So basically N95 Mask can filter out almost 95% of particles from air up to .3+ microns. It can keep you safe from Viral & bacterial infections. Some N95 Mask comes with value which is useful to reduce breath resistance. Basically any mask with valve helps while inhaling the air by reducing resistance
N95 masks are not resistant to oil. It’s made with specialised polypropylene fibres to achieve that level of air filtration. There are many types other masks can be found in the world which are similar to N95. For example, KN95 Masks from China which is equivalent to N95.
New Corona (COVID-19) viral infection spreading across the world with very fast speed. N95 Mask can give better protection to Health workers and others who are live among infected people. So availability is the issue now so many manufactures are increasing their production of these Masks to meet requirement. It gives better protection against viral and bacterial infections. For that reason, all the government health agencies are recommending N95 Masks for health workers who is treating COVID-19 patients.
Difference between N95 Masks & Surgical Masks
- When it comes to Air filtration N95 Mask does better when it compares to Surgical Mask. As it can filter out 95% particles from air.
- It fits better on face which ensures minimum leakage as compare to Surgical Mask.
- Very expensive as compared to Surgical Mask.
- It goes with various standards and quality checks to have have necessary certifications.
- These masks can be used for longer duration for few hours as long as it’s not damaged or spilled with oil or other fluids.
- Surgical Masks can only protect from large particles, fluids, droplets while operating on patients.
- Less expensive as compared to N95 Mask.
- When it comes to availability, Surgical Mask are easily available.
- Surgical Mask is not suitable to use for longer duration. Need to discard after each and every operation or task.
N95 Masks Uses
- It comes under PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) which keep you protected from Bacterial and Viral infections. Anyone can use it to keep protected from infections. Know the difference between Bacteria & Virus
- Any one who is dealing with hazardous materials and chemicals can use this Mask.
- It should not be reused again and again as it may not give you optimum protection.
The best way to keep protected from diseases is boosting your immunity. Which will help you to fight many diseases. Know the Top Immune Boosting Foods which helps to boost your immunity.